- Genesis 2:18 says the Lord created Eve for Adam as a loving companion and a help mate.
- Genesis 2:21-23 says Eve was made from Adam’s “flesh and bone” and, in marriage, they became “one flesh.”
- Genesis 2:24, 25 talks about the first wedding in Eden.
- Proverbs 2:17 says the marriage covenant is called the covenant of God.
- Proverbs 5 gives advice on disregarding the ungodly woman when choosing a mate.
- Proverbs 31 gives, in detail, the description of a godly wife.
- Song of Solomon is love poetry between a husband and a wife which is an illustration of the love of Christ for the church.
- Hosea 1-4 presents a description of an adulterous wife and a faithful husband symbolic of the unfaithfulness of Israel to God through idolatry.
- Malachi 2:13–15 says the best marriage is between two believers.
- Malachi 2:16 declares that God hates divorce.
- Matthew 5:31,32 says that the marriage covenants is sacred and binding.
- Matthew 19:4—6 says that God’s design for marriage is monogamy between a man and a woman.
- Matthew 19:7-9 talks about marriage and divorce.
- John 2 talks about Jesus attending and blessing a wedding celebration.
- 2 Corinthians 6:14 says the purpose of marriage is to create a loving home and that believes should not marry unbelievers.
- 1 Corinthians 7:2 says marriage protects individuals from sexual immorality.
- 1 Corinthians 11:2–3, says the husband is to submit to Christ as Christ did to God the Father (Luke 22:42; John 5:30) and the wife is to submit to her husband.
- Ephesians 5:25–26 presents marriage as a beautiful representation of the relationship between Christ and His church.
- 1 Timothy 2:2 gives briefly the description of a godly wife.
- 1 Timothy 2:13 gives the principle of the headship of the husband.
- 1 John 3:16 says God’s command is to love one another as God has loved us.
- Revelation 19:7–9; 21:1–2 says, at the second coming of Christ, the church will be united with the Bridegroom and the official “wedding ceremony” will take place, and with it the eternal union of Christ and His bride will be actualized.
Check out our Bible Answers page for more information on a variety of topics.
In His service,