Table of Contents
Marriage in the Bible
- The Lord created Eve for Adam as a loving companion and a help mate (Genesis 2:18)
- Eve was made from Adam’s “flesh and bone” and, in marriage, they became “one flesh” (Genesis 2:21-23)
- The first wedding in Eden (Genesis 2:24, 25)
- Marriage covenant is called the covenant of God (Proverbs 2:17)
- Advice on disregarding the ungodly woman when choosing a mate (Proverbs 5)
- Detail and description of a godly wife (Proverbs 31)
- Song of Solomon is love poetry between a husband and a wife which is an illustration of the love of Christ for the church.
- Hosea 1-4 presents a description of an adulterous wife and a faithful husband symbolic of the unfaithfulness of Israel to God through idolatry.
- Marriage should be between two believers (Malachi 2:13–15).
- God hates divorce (Malachi 2:16).
- The marriage covenants is sacred and binding (Matthew 5:31,32)
- Matthew 19:4—6 says that God’s design for marriage is monogamy between a man and a woman.
- Jesus talking about Marriage and divorce (Matthew 19:7-9).
- John 2 talks about Jesus attending and blessing a wedding celebration.
- The purpose of marriage is to create a loving home and that believes should not marry unbelievers (2 Corinthians 6:14 )
- Marriage protects individuals from sexual immorality (1 Corinthians 7:2)
- 1 Corinthians 11:2–3, says the husband is to submit to Christ as Christ did to God the Father (Luke 22:42; John 5:30) and the wife is to submit to her husband.
- Ephesians 5:25–26 presents marriage as a beautiful representation of the relationship between Christ and His church.
- Description of a godly wife (1 Timothy 2:11-12)
- The principle of the headship of the husband (1 Timothy 2:13)
- 1 John 3:16 says God’s command is to love one another as God has loved us.
- Revelation 19:7–9; 21:1–2 says, at the second coming of Christ, the church will be united with the Bridegroom and the official “wedding ceremony” will take place, and with it the eternal union of Christ and His bride will be actualized.
In His service,