The Bible tells us that God knows us before He formed us in the womb (Jeremiah 1:5). And in Psalm 139:13-16, David speaks of God’s role in our creation. In fact, the Lord, in Exodus 21:22-25, gives the same penalty—death—for someone who causes the death of a baby in the womb as for someone who commits murder. So, God considers a baby in the womb to be as human as an adult.
Abortion by definition is the deliberate termination of a human life while it is still in the womb. God’s moral law specifically stated: “You shall not murder” (Exodus 20:13). And the Lord brought strong judgment upon nations who sacrificed their infants to false gods (2 Chronicles 28:3; Jeremiah 19:5; Ezekiel 20:31).
What about babies that are conceived as a result of rape or incest?
Although these are evil acts, the child is innocent and should not be punished for the father’s evil act. If the mother does not want the child, she can give him up for adoption to a Christian family.
What about if the mother’s life is at risk, should we abort the baby?
Couples that face such an issue should take the matter to the Lord in prayer for wisdom. And the Lord promised in James 1:5, that He will give wisdom to help all those that seek it. But the couple should also have faith that God can save both the mother and the baby from danger.
While only 5% of all abortions may be the reason of rape, incest or “mothers at risk”, the rest of the 95% of abortions are simply due to women that don’t want babies. Abortion to the Christian is not a matter of a woman’s right to choose but it is a matter of life or death of another human being made in God’s image (Genesis 1:26-27; 9:6).
Here is the good news for those that have been involved in abortion (directly or indirectly) and are seeking repentantly a new start, the Lord offers total forgiveness (John 3:16; Romans 8:1; Colossians 1:14).
In His service,
A closing message from BibleAsk:
Thank you for visiting BibleAsk – an online ministry dedicated to providing Bible based answers to your questions. If you enjoyed and agree with this answer, please like and share! If you don’t agree, please leave a comment below, and we’ll be sure to respond! If you have another question you would like to ask, please click here and someone from our team will personally answer it (don’t worry, your email address will never be shared). Check out our Bible Answers page to see just Bible verses answering thousands of questions. If you feel impressed to support this ministry, kindly visit our donate page to send a tax-deductible love gift to BibleAsk. Any donation size helps .