- The Spirit of God worked on the hearts of people at Noah’s time (Genesis 6:3)
- Joseph had the “Spirit of God“ in him (Genesis 41:38).
- The seventy elders received the Holy Spirit and “when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied” (Numbers 11:25).
- King Saul had “the Spirit of God came upon him, and he prophesied” (1 Samuel 10:10)
- The Holy Spirit came upon Mary the mother of Jesus (Matthew 1:18).
- John the Baptist was “filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his others’ womb” (Luke 1:15).
- Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit “And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary…Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost” (Luke 1:41).
But at Pentecost, John spoke of another special outpouring of the Holy Spirit. After His resurrection, Jesus “Commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, ‘which, He said, ‘you have heard from Me; for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the holy Spirit not many days from now’” (Acts 1:4,5). The scripture gives the reason for this great outpouring “But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem , and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth” (V.8).
This extra measure of the Spirit in the form of the early rain at Pentecost (Joel 2:23; James 5:7) was to empower the disciples to evangelize the world at that time. And the latter rain represents the final outpouring of the Holy Spirit, which will produce the ripening of the harvest just before the second coming of Christ.
In His service,