Question: How big is an angel? Or what’s the size of an angel?
Answer: Angels are a different order of beings than humans. While angels are spirits and not physical beings (Hebrews 1:14), humans are souls (Genesis 2:7). But angels are spiritual beings that can take on physical form.
All through the history of mankind, angels appeared to humans and the Bible gives us some examples of them being even mistaken for people. This could mean that they may have similar sizes like people.
Here are some Bible clues:
- Three angels who looked like regular men appeared to Abraham by the oak of Mamre, prior to the destruction of Sodom (Genesis 18:1-5).
- Abraham’s nephew Lot, also mistook the same angels for men (Genesis 19:1-3).
- Manoah and his wife initially mistook the angel of the LORD for a man (Judges 13:2-9).
- In the NT, Paul also confirms that some saints entertained angels thinking they were men (Hebrews 13:2).
- John the Revelator indicates that the size of men and angels may be similar in Revelation 21:17 “Then he measured its wall: one hundred and forty-four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of an angel.”
So, here is the question: Do angels appear to men in the form and size of men because this is how they were created or do angels appear to men in the form and size of men only so that humans will not be surprised by their bigger size and get frightened? The answer is not clear from the Scriptures. It should be noted also that the size of men have been shortened than to what it was originally at creation and this is due to sin.
Whatever the case, God in His love and mercy, sends His angels as ministering spirits “to serve those who will inherit salvation” (Hebrew 1:14).
In His service,