How big is an angel? Or what’s the size of an angel?
Angels are a different order of beings than humans. While angels are spirits and not physical beings (Hebrews 1:14), humans are souls (Genesis 2:7). But angels are spiritual beings that can take on physical form.
While Christ is God and is to be worshiped, angels are ministering spirits (Hebrews 1:14). They find joy in doing God’s will. From the very beginning they have had a positive role in the plan of salvation and have ministered in many ways. After the fall of man, they protected the path to the tree of life (Genesis 3:24).
All through the ages angels have been men’s guardians, “sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation” (Hebrews 1:14). The angels appeared frequently in the ministry of the Son of God on earth, from the first declaration of His birth to the time of His ascension. Although we may not be aware of the continuous presence of angels in our lives, we may be certain that we are constantly under their loving care.
And when the last events take place and the Son of God returns, they will accompany Him (Matthew 25:31), and Christ will direct them to “gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other” (Matthew 24:31).
Size of angels
All through the history of mankind, angels appeared to humans and the Bible gives us some examples of them being even mistaken for people. This could mean that they may have similar sizes like people. Here are some Bible clues:
- Three angels who looked like regular men appeared to Abraham by the oak of Mamre, prior to the destruction of Sodom (Genesis 18:1-5).
- Abraham’s nephew Lot, also mistook the same angels for men (Genesis 19:1-3).
- Manoah and his wife initially mistook the angel of the LORD for a man (Judges 13:2-9).
- In the NT, Paul also confirms that some saints entertained angels thinking they were men (Hebrews 13:2).
- John the Revelator indicates that the size of men and angels may be similar in Revelation 21:17 “Then he measured its wall: one hundred and forty-four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of an angel.”
So, here is the question: Do angels appear to men in the form and size of men because this is how they were created or do angels appear to men in the form and size of men only so that humans will not be surprised by their bigger size and get frightened? The answer is not clear from the Scriptures. It should be noted also that the size of men have been shortened than to what it was originally at creation and this is due to sin. Whatever the case, God in His love and mercy, sends His angels to serve His earthly children.
In His service,