The Mosaic Law
The Mosaic law consisted of: temple services (sacrifices, feasts, ceremonies…), civil laws (judicial system, kings, wars…), social laws (property, inheritance, marriage…), and health laws (purity, clean and unclean foods, diseases…).
The Mosaic civil and social laws came to an end with the occupation of the foreign nations; the temple services that pointed to Christ’s ministry also came to an end when Jesus died on the cross (Ephesians 2:15); but the health laws are still in effect today (Acts 15).
If we look closely a the temple services, we find that these laws regulated the priesthood, rituals, sacrifices and feasts (there were seven yearly feast also called sabbaths (Leviticus 23). These were in addition to, or “beside the Sabbaths of the Lord” or the seventh-day Sabbath (Leviticus 23:38). The Mosaic temple laws were added “till the seed should come,” and that seed was Christ (Galatians 3:16, 19). So, when Christ came these laws ended.
Let’s examine the Mosaic law closely:
- Called “the law of Moses” (Luke 2:22).
- Called “law … contained in ordinances” (Ephesians 2:15).
- Written by Moses in a book (2 Chronicles 35:12).
- Placed outside the ark (Deuteronomy 31:26).
- Ended at the cross (Ephesians 2:15).
- Added because of sin (Galatians 3:19).
- Contrary to us, against us (Colossians 2:14).
- Judges no one (Colossians 2:14-16).
- Carnal (Hebrews 7:16).
The Mosaic law is different and distinct from God’s Moral Law (Ten Commandments). God’s law existed from the very beginning or at least as long as sin has existed (Romans 4:15;1 John 3:4). Let’s examine the God’s Law closely:
- Called “the law of the Lord” (Isaiah 5:24).
- Called Ten Commandments – “the royal law” (James 2:8).
- Written by God on stone (Exodus 31:18; 32:16).
- Placed inside the ark (Exodus 40:20).
- Will stand forever (Luke 16:17).
- Points out sin (Romans 7:7; 3:20).
- Not grievous (1 John 5:3).
- Judges all people (James 2:10-12).
- Spiritual (Romans 7:14).
- Perfect (Psalms 19:7).
While the Mosaic (temple, civil and social) laws came to an end (Ephesians 2:15), God’s Law (the Ten Commandments) “stand[s] fast for ever and ever” (Psalms 111:8). Jesus Himself says, “it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one tittle of the law to fail” (Luke 16:17). Thus, we find that God’s Moral law and the health laws of the Mosaic law are still applicable today.
For more on this topic, check the following link:
In His service,
This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)