Joseph Campbell said, “A marriage is a commitment to that which you are. That person is literally your other half. And you and the other are one. … Marriage is a life commitment, and a life commitment means the prime concern of your life. If marriage is not the prime concern, you are not married.”
Here are some tips for a happy and successful marriage:
- Love is the supreme basis for any marriage. “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her” (Ephesians 5:25).
- Understand the importance of the marriage commitment. “Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate” (Mark 10:9).
- Keep in mind that your spouse is not perfect. “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23).
- Remember the necessity of practicing forgiveness. “And forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who is indebted to us” (Luke 11:4).
- Put your spouse ahead of yourself. “Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself” (Philippians 2:3).
- Spend quality happy time together. “Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind” (Philippians 2:1,2).
- Create lasting happy memories. “And there you shall eat before the Lord your God, and you shall rejoice in all to which you have put your hand, you and your households, in which the Lord your God has blessed you” (Deuteronomy 12:7).
- Always compromise to reach an agreement. “Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others” (Philippians 2:4).
- But most importantly make God’s love your common goal. “So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart” (Acts 2:46).
- And let God’s fear be the center of your relationship. “Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man’s all” (Ecclesiastes 12:13).
Check out our Bible Answers page for more information on a variety of topics.
In His service,
A closing message from BibleAsk:
Thank you for visiting BibleAsk – an online ministry dedicated to providing Bible based answers to your questions. If you enjoyed and agree with this answer, please like and share! If you don’t agree, please leave a comment below, and we’ll be sure to respond! If you have another question you would like to ask, please click here and someone from our team will personally answer it (don’t worry, your email address will never be shared). Check out our Bible Answers page to see just Bible verses answering thousands of questions. If you feel impressed to support this ministry, kindly visit our donate page to send a tax-deductible love gift to BibleAsk. Any donation size helps .
Bible Ask Team