1. WHY are we told to get wisdom?
“Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom.” Prov. 4:7.
NOTE.-Wisdom implies the ability to judge soundly and deal sagaciously. It is knowledge, with the capacity to make due use of it. One may have abundance of knowledge, and at the same time possess little wisdom.
2. Of how much value is wisdom?
“She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her.” Prov. 3:15.
3. What blessings follow the acquisition of wisdom?
“Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honor, when thou dost embrace her. She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.” Prov. 4:8,9.
4. Who gives wisdom?
“For the Lord giveth wisdom?” Prov. 2:6.
6. When Solomon became king, what did he ask the Lord to give him?
“Give me now wisdom and knowledge.” 2 Chron. 1:10.
7. How did the Lord regard this request?
“And the speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing.” 1 Kings 3:10.
8. How was Solomon’s prayer answered?
“And God said unto him, Because thou hast asked this
thing, and hast not asked for thyself long life; neither hast asked riches for thyself, nor hast asked the life of thine enemies; . . . behold, I have done according to thy words: lo, I have given thee a wise and an understanding heart. . . . And I have also given thee that which thou hast not asked, both riches, and honor.” Verses 11-13.
9. Are great men always wise?
“Great men are not always wise: neither do the aged understand judgment.” Job 32:9.
10. What is the beginning of wisdom?
“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do His commandments.” Ps. 111:10.
11. By what means was the psalmist made wiser than his enemies?
“Thou through Thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me.” Ps. 119:98.
12. Why did his understanding excel that of his teachers?
“I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation.” Verse 99.
13. What effect does wisdom have upon the countenance?
“A man’s wisdom maketh his face to shine.” Eccl. 8:1.
14. In what did Christ say the children of this world excel the children of light?
“For the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.” Luke 16:8.
NOTE.-That is, they show more prudence, more cunning, and more intelligence about their business than do Christians concerning the things of God’s kingdom. “They show more skill, study more plans, contrive more ways, to provide for themselves than the children of light do to promote the interests of religion.”- Dr. Albert Barnes.
15. In what did the apostle say he would have us wise, and in what simple?
“I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.” Rom. 16:19.
16. How many kinds of wisdom are there?
“Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect:
yet not the wisdom of this world. . . . But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory.” 1 Cor. 2:6,7.
18. What is the character of that wisdom which comes from God?
“But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.” James 3:17.
19. What wisdom are the Scriptures able to give?
“And that from a child thou hast known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.” 2 Tim. 3:15.
BROAD is the road that leads to death,
And thousands walk together there;
But wisdom shows a narrow path,
With here and there a traveler.
Deny thyself, and take thy cross,
Is thy Redeemer’s great command;
Nature must count her gold but dross,
If she would gain that heavenly land.