Jesus said, “At the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate” (Matthew 19:4-6).
God created the joyous union of man and women in the marriage bond (Genesis 2:18-25). And the Lord designed sex between a husband and wife to express their love for each other. God ordained that sex should take place only within marriage to protect the lovers (Exodus 20:14).
Reasons why couples should wait until marriage to have sex:
- Sex outside marriage is sin. “You shall not commit adultery” (Exodus 20:14).
- A person will not miss out on the uniqueness of the wedding night (Song of Solomon 4-5).
- A person will not have guilt baggage and emotional pain if things didn’t work out. “Keep a clear conscience before God…” (1 Peter 3:16).
- Waiting is a test of true love. “Love suffers long and … bears all things” (1 Corinthians 13:4,7).
- A person will show respect to his/her partner by exhibiting self-control. “For this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control…” (2 Peter 5-8).
- A person will earn his/her partner’s future trust by showing will power now. “The heart of her husband (wife) trusts in her…” (Proverbs 31:11).
- A person will not settle for less than what God has prepared for him/her. “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” (Jeremiah 29:11).
- A person will not have to deal with the risk of contracting sexual diseases. “let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit…” (2 Corinthians 7:1).
- A person will be a good example of purity to others. “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven” (Matthew 5:16).
- He/she will reap the rewards of being faithful to God. “Happy are those who remain faithful under trials, because when they succeed in passing such a test, they will receive as their reward the life which God has promised to those who love him” (James 1:12).
Abstinence from sex before marriage saves lives eternally, protects babies, gives sexual relations the proper value, and above all honors God.
Check out our Bible Answers page for more information on a variety of topics.
In His service,