The Order of Events in the Resurrection Day
The following is the chronological order of events that took place on the Resurrection day:
2. When Christ and the angels departed, the Roman soldiers, who had seen the angel roll away the stone, had heard him call forth the Son of God, and had actually seen Christ come forth from the tomb, left the sepulcher and rushed into the city with the news (Matthew 28: 3, 4, 11–15).
3. Mary Magdalene arrived at the tomb, and finding the stone rolled away (John 20:1), rushed to tell the disciples (John 20:2).
4. When the other women [Mary the mother of James, Salome and Joanna (Mark 16:1; Luke 24:1, 10)] arrived at the tomb, they found the angel who had come down from heaven and called Christ from the grave (Matthew 28:2), seated on the stone from the door of the tomb. When the women saw him they comforted by his message in Matthew 28:5–7; Mark 16:6, 7. When they entered the sepulcher, they found another angel sitting where Jesus had laid (Mark 16:5; John 20:12). He spoke to them the message that is recorded in Luke 24:5–7.
5.The women left the sepulcher to tell the disciples what the angels said (Matthew 28:8, 9, 11; Mark 16:8; Luke 24:9, 10). While the women were on their way to the disciples, the Roman guards reached the residence of “the chief priests” with their report (Matthew 28:11).
6. Mary Magdalene found Peter and John and told them that she found the sepulcher empty (John 20:2). The two disciples rushed to the sepulcher, but John arrived first (John 20:3, 4). Peter, and then John, entered the sepulcher, but neither of them saw the angels (John 20:5–10; Luke 24:12). Mary followed them back to the sepulcher, and remained after Peter and John had departed (John 20:11).
7. Mary bent down to look into the sepulcher and saw the two angels seated on the slab of stone where Christ’s body had lain (John 20:11–13).
8. Mary heard the voice of Jesus but did not realize that it was Him (John 20:14, 15). Then, Jesus revealed Himself to her (Mark 16:9). The conversation of John 20:15–17 took place, and Mary rushed to report to the disciples the good news of the risen Savior (John 20:18).
9. Jesus ascended to heaven briefly to meet the Father (John 20:17).
10. After Jesus had ascended to the Father, He appeared to the other women (Matthew 28:9, 10).
11. Jesus appeared to Peter (Luke 24:34; 1 Corinthians 15:5), prior to the walk to Emmaus.
12. Jesus appeared to the two disciples on the way to Emmaus, one of whom was named Cleopas (Luke 24:13–32; Mark 16:12).
13. Jesus appeared to the ten disciples who were in the upper room, following the return of the two disciples from Emmaus (Mark 16:14; Luke 24:33–48; John 20:19–23; 1 Corinthians 15:5). Thomas was absent (John 20:24, 25).
In His service,