The Lord sanctified the seventh day Sabbath
(Saturday) and blessed it as a day of worship at the creation of the world (Genesis 2:2-3). God blessed it because He had created the world in six days and rested on the seventh. It was the birthday of the world, a memorial of His great work. Some teach that the seventh day Sabbath
was just for the Jews. But the Sabbath
was made and given to man 2500 years before the existence of the Jews. God made the Sabbath for the benefit of mankind (Mark
Here is a brief Bible
history on the Sabbath:
1. Abraham and his descendants kept all of God’s commandments (Genesis 26:4-5).
2. The Bible
shows that God’s children kept the Sabbath law before He handed down the Ten Commandments
(Exodus 16:4, 26-30).
3. God reinforced His Ten Commandments
– in stone, with His own finger and placed special emphasis on remembering His seventh-day Sabbath
. “Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God… For in six days the LORD made heaven
and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it” (Exodus 20:8-11).
provided a pattern for us. While on earth as Son of Man
, He made it His custom to keep each seventh Sabbath by attending worship services (Luke
5. When someone asked Jesus
“what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life
? Jesus answered,… if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments” (Matthew
6. Jesus said He did not come to destroy the Law, but to fill it to the fullest spiritual meaning (Matthew
7. When Jesus prophesied about events that would take place forty
years after His death (A.D. 70, the destruction of Jerusalem), He underscored the fact that His followers would still be observing His sacred seventh day Sabbath (Matthew 24:20).
8. Christ’s disciples kept the Sabbath after the Crucifixion and the Resurrection (Luke
23:56; Acts 13:14, 42-44; 16:13; 17:2; 18:4). There’s no mention in the New Testament (written up to sixty years after Christ’s death) of changing or eliminating the seventh-day Sabbath
did away with the Mosaic Law with its feasts and annual sabbath holidays (Colossians 2:16; Ephesians 2:15; Galatians 4:9, 20) but he didn’t do away with the the weekly Sabbath of the Ten Commandments.
taught that the Sabbath observance remains (Hebrews 4:4, 9, 10).
11. God’s redeemed people will celebrate the Sabbath in the new heavens and new earth for all of eternity (Isaiah 66:22-23).
12. Finally, it is important to keep God’s true Sabbath for the believers will be judged by the law of God (James
In His service,
A closing message from BibleAsk:
Thank you for visiting BibleAsk – an online ministry dedicated to providing Bible based answers to your questions. If you enjoyed and agree with this answer, please like and share! If you don’t agree, please leave a comment below, and we’ll be sure to respond! If you have another question you would like to ask, please click here and someone from our team will personally answer it (don’t worry, your email address will never be shared). Check out our Bible Answers page to see just Bible verses answering thousands of questions. If you feel impressed to support this ministry, kindly visit our donate page to send a tax-deductible love gift to BibleAsk. Any donation size helps .