The Bible teaches that the entire plan of salvation is a miracle and a mystery in many ways. “Now to Him who is able to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery kept secret since the world began” (Romans 16:25):
- It is a mystery that God Almighty could love sinners: “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life” (John 3:16 also Romans 5:8).
- It is a mystery that God’s infinite wisdom could devise a plan whereby mercy might be combined with justice (Psalms 85:10; Romans 6:23).
- It is a mystery that the Son of God would become a man born by a virgin (John 1:14; Philippians 2:7; Galatians 4:4).
- It is a miracle that Jesus resurrected from the dead and conquered the grave (Luke 24; Revelation 1:8; 1 Corinthians 15:20-23).
- It is a miracle that man, who is naturally at enmity with God (Romans 8:7), can live at peace with His Creator through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ (Romans 5:1).
- It is a miracle that Christ can deliver man from the power of sin and death (Romans 7:24, 8:1, 2), and empowers him to live a perfect life in obedience to the divine will (Romans 8:3, 4).
- It is a miracle that a sinner can be born again (John 3:3–9), that an imperfect person (Romans 3:23) can be changed (Romans 12:2) by the grace of Christ into a perfect man (Matthew 5:48) and become a child of God.
The Christian religion is remarkable because of the plan of salvation. The love of God, the virgin birth, the perfect life of Jesus, His vicarious death, the glorious resurrection of Jesus, are all great mysteries to the human mind. But God’s redeeming love is the greatest of all mysteries “For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 8:38,39).
In His service,