There are more than 125 Old Testament prophecies concerning the Messiah . Here are just 12 of them:
- Micah 5:2 predicted that the Messiah would be born in Bethlehem “But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.”
- Isaiah 7:14 predicted that the Messiah would be born of a virgin “Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.”
- Jeremiah 23:5 predicted that the Messiah would be born from David’s lineage “Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.”
- Jeremiah 31:15 predicted the the Messiah would be a target of murder attempt “Thus saith the Lord; A voice was heard in Ramah, lamentation, and bitter weeping; Rahel weeping for her children refused to be comforted for her children, because they were not.”
- Psalm 41:9 predicted that the Messiah would be betrayed by a friend “Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.”
- Zechariah 11:12 predicted the Messiah would be sold for 30 silver coins “And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver.”
- Zechariah 12:10 predicted that the Messiah would be crucified “And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.”
- Psalms 22:18 predicted that lots would be cast for His clothes “They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.”
- Psalms 34:20 predicted that no bones of His body would be broken “He keepeth all his bones: not one of them is broken.”
- Isaiah 53:9 predicted that the Messiah would be buried in a rich man’s tomb “ And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.”
- Daniel 9:26 predicted precise date of Christ’s death “And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself.” https://bibleask.org/can-you-explain-the-70-weeks-in-daniel/
- Hosea 6:2 predicted that Jesus would be raised on the third day “After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.”
What are the chances that Jesus could have fulfilled just eight of these prophecies by mere chance?
Dr. Peter Stoner, former chairman of the departments of mathematics, astronomy, and engineering at Pasadena College in California, applied the principle of probability to the prophecies of the Messiah. He calculated the odds of just eight being fulfilled by one man as:
1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.
What would be the odds of all the prophecies of the Messiah being fulfilled by only chance? There is absolutely no way it could have happened by chance!
Check out our Bible Answers page for more information on a variety of topics.
In His service,
A closing message from BibleAsk:
Thank you for visiting BibleAsk – an online ministry dedicated to providing Bible based answers to your questions. If you enjoyed and agree with this answer, please like and share! If you don’t agree, please leave a comment below, and we’ll be sure to respond! If you have another question you would like to ask, please click here and someone from our team will personally answer it (don’t worry, your email address will never be shared). Check out our Bible Answers page to see just Bible verses answering thousands of questions. If you feel impressed to support this ministry, kindly visit our donate page to send a tax-deductible love gift to BibleAsk. Any donation size helps .