There have been many debates in the media and around the world about Trump and his political actions. Many have wondered: Is trump the Antichrist? No need to wonder! God’s Word gives us nine characteristics that identify the Antichrist in Daniel 7. Here are the nine points:
A. The little horn would come “up among them”—that is, from among the 10 horns that were the kingdoms of Western Europe (Daniel 7:8). So, it would be a little kingdom in Western Europe.
B. It would have a man at its head who could speak for it (Daniel 7:8).
C. It would pluck out or uproot three kingdoms (Daniel 7:8).
D. It would be different from the other 10 kingdoms (Daniel 7:24).
E. It would make war with and persecute the saints (Daniel 7:21, 25).
F. It would emerge from the pagan Roman Empire—the fourth kingdom (Daniel 7:7, 8).
G. God’s people (the saints) would “be given into his hand” for “a time and times and half a time” (Daniel 7:25).
H. It would “speak great words against” or blaspheme God (Daniel 7:25). In Revelation 13:5, the Bible says the same power speaks “great things and blasphemies.”
I. It would “intend to change times and law” (Daniel 7:25).
Historians tell us that these points fit only one power—the papacy. Let us examine all nine points to see if this is true:
A. It came up among the 10 kingdoms of Western Europe.
The geographical location of the papal power is in Rome, Italy—in Western Europe.
B. It would have a man at its head who speaks for it.
The papacy does have one man at the head—the pope—who speaks for it.
C. Three kingdoms were plucked up to make way for the rise of the papacy.
The emperors of Western Europe were largely Catholic and supported the papacy. Three Arian kingdoms, however, did not—the Vandals, Heruli, and Ostrogoths. So, the Catholic emperors subdued them.
D. It would be different from the other kingdoms.
The papacy rose as a religious power and was different from the secular nature of the other 10 kingdoms.
E. It would make war with and persecute the saints. Historians believe the church destroyed at least 50 million lives over matters of religious conviction [History of Romanism, pages 541, 542]
F. It would emerge from the fourth kingdom of iron—the pagan Roman Empire.
The very capital of the old Roman Empire became the capital of the Christian empire. The office of Pontifex Maximus was continued in that of the pope
G. God’s people (the saints) would “be given into his hand” for “a time and times and half a time.”
1. A time is a year, times is two years, and half a time is half of a year. The Amplified Bible translates it: “Three and one-half years.”
2. This same time period is mentioned seven times in the books of Daniel and Revelation (Daniel 7:25; 12:7; Revelation 11:2, 3; 12:6, 14; 13:5): three times as a “time, times, and half a time”; twice as 42 months; and twice as 1,260 days. Based on the 30-day calendar used by the Jews, these time periods are all the same amount of time: 3½ years = 42 months = 1,260 days.
3. One prophetic day equals one literal year (Ezekiel 4:6; Numbers 14:34).
4. Thus, the little horn (Antichrist) was to have power over the saints for 1,260 prophetic days; that is, 1,260 literal years.
5. The rule of the papacy started in AD 538, when the last of the three opposing Arian kingdoms was uprooted. Its rule continued until 1798 when Napoleon’s general, Berthier, took the pope captive with hopes of destroying both Pope Pius VI and the political power of the papacy. This period of time is an exact fulfillment of the 1,260-year prophecy. The blow was a deadly wound for the papacy, but that wound began to heal and continues healing today.
6. This same period of persecution is mentioned in Matthew 24:21 as the worst period of persecution God’s people experience. Verse 22 tells us it was so devastating that not one soul would have survived if God had not shortened it. But God did shorten it. The persecution ended long before the pope was taken captive in 1798.
H. It would speak “pompous words” of blasphemy “against [God].”
Blasphemy has two definitions in Scripture:
1. Claiming to forgive sins (Luke 5:21).
2. Claiming to be God (John 10:33).
The papacy claims to forgive sin: “Does the Priest truly forgive the sins, or does he only declare that they are remitted? The Priest does really and truly forgive the sins in virtue of the power given to him by Christ.” Joseph Deharbe, S.J., A Complete Catechism of the Catholic Religion (New York: Schwartz, Kirwin & Fauss, 1924), p. 279.
Now consider the evidence for it claiming to be God: “The pope is not only the representative of Jesus Christ, but he is Jesus Christ, Himself, hidden under the veil of flesh.” Catholic National, July 1895.
I.It would “intend to change times and law.” In its catechisms, the papacy has omitted the second commandment against veneration of images and has shortened the fourth commandment from 94 words to eight and divided the tenth commandment into two commandments. (Compare the Ten Commandments in any Catholic catechism with God’s list of the commandments in Exodus 20:2-17.)
There is no doubt that the little horn power (the Antichrist) of Daniel 7 is the papacy. No other organization fits all nine points. Every Protestant Reformer, without exception, spoke of the papacy as Antichrist.
Words of love:
No one should think that this is an attack on our fellow Christians by identifying the little horn power, please note that the prophecy of Daniel 7 is aimed at a SYSTEM and NOT INDIVIDUALS. There are honest and faithful believers in all faiths. Daniel 7 is simply a message of judgment and correction upon a religious institution that compromised with paganism, as many other churches have also done.
In His service,
A closing message from BibleAsk:
Thank you for visiting BibleAsk – an online ministry dedicated to providing Bible based answers to your questions. If you enjoyed and agree with this answer, please like and share! If you don’t agree, please leave a comment below, and we’ll be sure to respond! If you have another question you would like to ask, please click here and someone from our team will personally answer it (don’t worry, your email address will never be shared). Check out our Bible Answers page to see just Bible verses answering thousands of questions. If you feel impressed to support this ministry, kindly visit our donate page to send a tax-deductible love gift to BibleAsk. Any donation size helps 🙂