Christians and Being Happy
Christians can be very happy in the Lord, indeed. Jesus said, “These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full” (John 15:11); “I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly” (John 10:10). Joy is the 2nd gift of the Spirit listed by Paul (Galatians 5:22).
Happy Christians don’t find their joy in worldly laughter or in superficial excitement caused by the world’s empty pleasures. A happy Christian experiences joy in resting in the love of Christ, in victories won, and in unselfish ministry for others. This happy experience will reach its highest potential in the future kingdom of God. But a great degree of joy may be known here and now by those who follow Christ (John 15:4).
God’s Blessings on His Followers
True Christians are very happy because they receive these daily blessings from God:
- Forgiveness of sins (Acts 2:38)
- An abundant life of purpose (John 10:10; Ecclesiastes 12:13)
- Divine help in their prayers (Romans 8:26)
- Divine help in resisting temptation (1 Corinthians 13:10)
- Help from angels while living life (Hebrews 1:14; Daniel 10:2, 12-13)
- Divine protection from evil (2 Thessalonians 3:3)
- Jesus serves as their “defense attorney” (1 John 2:1)
- The Holy Spirit becomes their Helper (John 14:16; 16:7)
- God ensures that their physical necessities will be provided (Matthew 6:33; Mark 10:29-30)
- Divine help in living the righteous life (Romans 8:11)
- Divine help bearing the burdens of life (Matthew 11:28-30; Isaiah 42:3)
- A heavenly inheritance reserved for them (Ephesians 1:11; 1 Peter 1:4)
- An indescribable inner peace (Philippians 4:7)
- Trusting in grace instead of their own power (Titus 3:5)
- The ever-abiding presence of God (Matthew 28:20; Revelation 3:10)
- Abounding love toward others (1 Thessalonians 3:12-13)
As long as a Christian is daily connected to the God (through prayer and study of the Word), he can have a full happy life in Christ.
In His service,