The Bible declares, “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 6:23). When you accept Christ’s death by faith on your behalf to atone for your sins, you become a child of God. “To all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God” (John 1: 12). If you sincerely come to Jesus, He will always accept you. For He promised, “All that the Father gives me will come to me; and him who comes to me I will not cast out” (John 6:37).
This gift is free. Even the service and obedience that the justified and reborn believer is able to give to God are not because of his own merit or goodness but are the fruit of the Holy Spirit, whom God has sent to live in him. No one can earn salvation. Man is saved by grace through faith as “the gift of God” (Ephesians 2:8).
How Can I Accept Jesus Into My Heart?
If you would like to accept Jesus into your heart, take the following steps:
- Understand that we are all sinners. “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23). As sinners, we are condemned to death, therefore, we need a Savior.
- Realize that you cannot save yourself. “Without Me (God), you can do nothing” (John 15:5). You cannot save yourself from sin or a sinful nature.
- Repent or forsake your sins. Jesus said, “…for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance” (Matthew 9:13). To repent means to be sorry for sin and to turn from it.
- Confess your sins to God and trust that He forgives you for Jesus’ sake. “If we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9). Believe that Jesus has forgiven all your confessed sins.
- Believe Jesus died for your sins. “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life” (John 3:16). Believe that Christ took the death punishment you deserve so that you can have eternal life.
- Rejoice that you have eternal life. “He who believes in Me has everlasting life” (John 6:47). Believe that now you have eternal life through Christ if you remain in His path (John 15:14).
- Walk as Jesus did. “As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him” (Colossians 2:6). Choose to demonstrate the gift of salvation by living a righteous life by the power of God (Philippians 4:13). This comes by daily time in prayer and study of His word (John 15:4).
If you took these simple steps, rejoice exceedingly in God’s salvation. He who promised is true and faithful to His word. Praise the Lord!
Check out our Bible Answers page for more information on a variety of topics. We are here to answer your questions.
In His service,