God never expects us to have blind faith nor does He require us to accept His Word without adequate proof. God empowered His spokesmen on Earth to verify and authenticate their verbal pronouncements by performing accompanying supernatural acts (Mark 16:20; Hebrews 2:3-4).
When Jesus’ declaration of His deity aroused the anger of those that opposed Him. He challenged them saying: “If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me; but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him” (John 10:37-38, emp. added). In other words, Jesus’s works proved that He was the Son of God. Jesus’ claim of being the Son of God was shown to be reliable by the signs that He did (John 5:19-29):
- Jesus changed water into wine (John 2:6-10).
- Jesus cast out demons (Matthew 8:28-32;15:22-28).
- Jesus healed lepers (Matthew 8:3; Luke 17:14).
- Jesus healed diseases (Matthew 4:23,24; Luke 6:17-19).
- Jesus healed the paralytic (Mark 2:3-12).
- Jesus raised the dead (Matthew 9:25; John 11:43-44).
- Jesus restored sight to the blind (Matthew 9:27-30; John 9:1-7).
- Jesus restored/cured deafness (Mark 7:32-35).
- Jesus fed the multitude (Matthew 14:15-21; 15:32-38).
- Jesus walked on water (Matthew 14:25-27).
- Jesus calmed a storm with a command (Matthew 8:22-27; Mark 4:39).
- Jesus rose from the dead (Luke 24:39; John 20:27).
- Jesus appeared to disciples after resurrection (John 20:19).
- Jesus fulfilled more than 125 Old Testament prophecies.
- Jesus knew the future (Matthew 24; Matthew 26:34; Mark 13:2; John 8:28,29).
No other man on earth ever performed the supernatural deeds that Jesus did. Even His enemies testified to His divinity saying, “Truly this was the Son of God” (Matthew 27:54).
Only in Christianity are there accurately fulfilled prophecies of a coming Messiah, miracles done by Christ to prove His claim of divinity, and the historically proven resurrection of Christ. Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews, testified of the power of Christ’s acts saying: “Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him” (John 3:2).
Check out our Bible Answers page for more information on a variety of topics.
In His service,