Recent discoveries in archeology have proved the authenticity of Bible characters and events. Here are some of the facts:
The Dead Sea Scrolls, discovered in 1948 and date back to 150-170 BC, contained all or parts of the Old Testament books except the book of Esther.
The Cyrus Cylinder, discovered in 1879, records Cyrus’ overthrow of Babylon and his subsequent deliverance of the Jewish captives.
The Rosetta Stone, discovered in 1799 in Egypt by Napoleon’s scientists, was written in three languages: hieroglyphics, demotic, and Greek. It unlocked the mystery of the hieroglyphics which have helped confirm the authenticity of the Bible.
The Moabite Stone, discovered in 1868 at Dibon, Jordan, confirmed Moabite attacks on Israel as recorded in 2 Kings 1 and 3.
The Lachish Letters, discovered in 1932-1938, 24 miles north of Beersheba, described the attack of Nebuchadnezzar on Jerusalem in 586 BC.
- For years skeptics said the Bible was unreliable because it mentioned the Hittite nation (Deuteronomy 7:1) and cities like Nineveh (Jonah 1:1, 2) and Sodom (Genesis 19:1), which they denied ever existed. But now modern archaeology has confirmed that all three did, indeed, exist.
- Critics also said that Bible-mentioned kings Belshazzar (Daniel 5:1) and Sargon (Isaiah 20:1) never existed. But now we know they did.
- Skeptics also said the Bible record of Moses was not reliable because it mentions writing (Exodus 24:4) and wheeled vehicles (Exodus 14:25), neither of which they said existed at the time. Recent discoveries in the Red sea proved the reliability of the Biblical story of Moses.
- At one time the 39 kings of ancient Israel and Judah who reigned during the divided kingdom were authenticated only from the Bible record, so critics charged fabrication. But then archaeologists found cuneiform records that mentioned many of these kings.
- The ancient city of Petra was virtually unknown to archaeologists, with only the Bible to give account of its existence. But 200 years ago all of that changed when one man made a legendary discovery.
- A Biblical prophecy accurately foretold the history of the ancient city of Tyre.
- Babylon was excavated in 1898. The archaeological findings point to the truth of Scripture’s prophecies about that great city.
The above discoveries in archeology show that Bible historical statements are indeed accurate.
In His service,