Jesus confirmed the creation account of the world in the following references:
- Jesus pointed to the creation account as the basis for the doctrine of marriage and divorce. He said, “Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’?” (Matthew 19:4-5). Jesus asserted the sanctity of the marriage bond by quoting Genesis 2:24. Thus, Jesus made it clear that He accepted the account as factual.
- Jesus pointed to the creation of plants where each kind brought forth the same kind. “Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?… A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit; neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit” (Matthew 7:16,18). This was recorded in Genesis 1:11,12. Thus, showing that living things did not evolve.
- Jesus kept the Sabbath (Luke 4:16) and accepted the Sabbath as a day of rest in commemoration of God’s completed work of creation (Matthew 12:8). The Sabbath was first instituted at creation in Genesis 2:2, 3.
- Jesus also pointed to the account of the fall of man, after the creation, when He called Satan “the father of lies” (John 8:44), referring to Satan’s first lie to Eve in Genesis 3:4-5.
- Jesus testified to the truthfulness of Moses’ record (the author of the book of Genesis) when He said: “For if ye believed Moses, ye would believe me; for he wrote of me. But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?” (John 5:46-47).
- Jesus referred to the story of Abel (Adam’s son) in Matthew 23:35 as an actual historical account which was recorded in Genesis 4:3-16.
- Jesus spoke of Noah’s flood in Matthew 24:37 as an actual historical account which was recorded in Genesis chapters 6, 7, and 8. And He used that Flood in making a comparison to the destruction of the Earth at His second coming.
The scriptures show that Jesus accepted the creation chapters of Genesis as factual and reliable, and He pointed to them as a basis for many of His teachings.
Check out our Bible Answers page for more information on a variety of topics.
In His service,
A closing message from BibleAsk:
Thank you for visiting BibleAsk – an online ministry dedicated to providing Bible based answers to your questions. If you enjoyed and agree with this answer, please like and share! If you don’t agree, please leave a comment below, and we’ll be sure to respond! If you have another question you would like to ask, please click here and someone from our team will personally answer it (don’t worry, your email address will never be shared). Check out our Bible Answers page to see just Bible verses answering thousands of questions. If you feel impressed to support this ministry, kindly visit our donate page to send a tax-deductible love gift to BibleAsk. Any donation size helps 🙂