Table of Contents
The Messages to the Seven Churches
The summary of the messages to the seven churches in Revelation 2 & 3 and their meaning go a follows:
Church in Ephesus-Revelation 2:1-7
- APPROVAL: I know that you do good deeds, and work hard. You are patient and cannot stand evil. You condemn those who do wrong and hold false teachings to the fire.
- CONDEMNATION: You have left your first love.
- ADVICE TO LEADERS: Remember where it is that you have fallen from, repent and go back.
- CHALLENGE TO BELIEVERS: To him that over cometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.
- APPLICATION: 1st Century A.D. The church in its pure apostolic age.
Church in Smyrna-Revelation 2:8-11
- APPROVAL: I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty (but thou art rich)
- CONDEMNATION: Nothing !!
- ADVICE TO LEADERS: Don’t fear your suffering – Satan will torment you and you will be tried. Be faithful unto death and you will have the crown of life…
- CHALLENGE TO BELIEVERS: He that over cometh shall not be hurt by the second death (and will have eternal life).
- APPLICATIOIN: 100 A.D.-313 A.D. Violent persecution at the hand of Roman Caesars.
Church in Pergamum-Revelation 2:12-17
- APPROVAL: You live where Satan lives, yet you never renounced me.
- CONDEMNATION: But I have a few things against you, your teachings pollute your people both spiritually and socially with unacceptable pagan practices.
- ADVICE TO LEADERS: Repent or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of My mouth!
- CHALLENGE TO BELIEVERS: To him that overcomes will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth [it].
- APPLICATION: Constantine to Justinian , 313 A.D.-538 A.D. There was corruption of faith during the Constantine era.
Church in Thyatira-Revelation 2:18-29
- APPROVAL: I know your deeds, your love, your charity, faith and service. You are doing more of these things than you ever have!
- CONDEMNATION: While on the outside, you appear as a model church, you are rife with corruption and corrupt teachings, from deep within. You have committed adultery against me with your pagan worship.
- ADVICE TO LEADERS: Repent now or I will cast you into great tribulation.
- Challenge to Believers: To those who are faithful within, rejecting the false doctrines, hold fast till I come.
- APPLICATION: Middle Ages to the Reformation, 538 A.D.-1517 A.D. The Papacy ruled the world and used its power to dominate any and all who resisted.
Church in Sardis-Revelation 3:1-6
- APPROVAL: I know your deeds – your name carries much recognition among men …
- CONDEMNATION: But now you are dead.
- ADVICE TO LEADERS: Remember your beginnings, return to them and repent. You are not paying attention to my Word and you need to wake up!
- CHALLENGE TO BELIEVERS: He that over cometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
- APPLICATION: Post Reformation period, 1517 A.D. -1755 A.D.
Church in Philadelphia-Revelation 3:7-13
- APPROVAL: You may not be the biggest group, but I know your works and your teachings. Even without strength or power, you have kept My Word and not compromised My name.
- CONDEMNATION: Nothing !!
- ADVICE TO LEADERS: I am coming quickly. Hold onto what you have.
- CHALLENGE TO BELIEVERS: Him that over cometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, [which is] new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and [I will write upon him] my new name.
- APPLICATION: The great awakening, 1755 A.D. to current times.
Church of the Laodicea-Revelation 3:14-22
- APPROVAL: Absolutely Nothing !!
- CONDEMNATION: You are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold. I wish you were one or the other but because you have no redeeming qualities whatsoever, I will spit you out of my mouth into the tribulation. You say that you are wealthy and in need of nothing, but what you don’t realize is that you are truly wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked.
- ADVICE TO LEADERS: You need to start concerning yourself with eternal riches and not earthly ones, humble yourself about your sins and open your eyes to My truth before its too late.
- CHALLENGE TO BELIEVERS: To him that over cometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
- APPLICATION: The near future.
In His service,