There are five essential things we can do to build a closer relation with God.
1. Read the scriptures daily. Through the word of God, we can listen to His voice speaking to us, revealing His will and directing our steps. Jesus said, “Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can you, except you abide in me” (John 15:4).
2. Speak to Him through prayer. Jesus gave us a perfect model of prayer in Matthew 6:9-13. And there many other models of prayer that encompass worship, thanksgiving and supplication in the book of Psalms. Prayer is the opening of the heart to God as to a friend (John 15:15).
3. Be part of His body or the church. The apostle Paul admonished the believers in Hebrews 10:24-25 saying, “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”
4. Search our hearts and ask for forgiveness of all sin. We must prayerfully search our hearts for sin (2 Corinthians 13:5, Psalms 139: 23-24). The Bible teaches that “your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear” (Isaiah 59:2). So, if we confess our sins and forsake them, we grow close to God for He promised that “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).
5. Build our faith by a life of obedience. Jesus told His disciples, “If you love me, keep my commandments” (John 14:23). Obedience is the acid test of Christianity. Paradise was lost because of disobedience to God’s commands and it will be regained through obedience to God through His enabling Spirit that works in the heart (Romans 8:13-14).
When we get closer to God, we will find that we will be at peace with our selves and also naturally grow closer to His children. For God will fill our hearts with His sweet love that will draw others to us with bonds of compassion, understanding and tenderness (Romans 5:5).
Check out our Bible Answers page for more information on a variety of topics.
In His service,
A closing message from BibleAsk:
Thank you for visiting BibleAsk – an online ministry dedicated to providing Bible based answers to your questions. If you enjoyed and agree with this answer, please like and share! If you don’t agree, please leave a comment below, and we’ll be sure to respond! If you have another question you would like to ask, please click here and someone from our team will personally answer it (don’t worry, your email address will never be shared). Check out our Bible Answers page to see just Bible verses answering thousands of questions. If you feel impressed to support this ministry, kindly visit our donate page to send a tax-deductible love gift to BibleAsk. Any donation size helps .