1. WHAT ordinance is closely associated with believing the gospel?
“And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.” Mark 16:15,16.
2. What did the apostle Peter associate with baptism in his instruction on the day of Pentecost?
“Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins.” Acts 2:38.
4. What followed immediately after the jailer and his family had accepted Christ as their Saviour?
“And he took them [Paul and Silas] the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.” Verse 33.
5. In connection with Christian baptism, what is washed away?
“And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.” Acts 22:16. See Titus 3:5; 1 Peter 3:21.
6. By what means are sins washed away?
“Unto Him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in His own blood.” Rev. 1:5.
7. Into whose name are believers to be baptized?
“Go ye therefore, and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost.” Matt. 28:19, R. V.
8. When believers are baptized into Christ, whom do they put on?
“For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.” Gal. 3:27.
9. Into what experience are those baptized who are baptized into Christ?
“Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into His death?” Rom. 6:3.
NOTE.- Baptism is a gospel ordinance commemorating the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. In baptism public testimony is given to the effect that the one baptized has been crucified with Christ, buried with Him, and is raised with Him to walk in newness of life. Only one mode of baptism can rightly represent these facts of experience, and that is immersion, – the mode followed by Christ and the primitive church.
10. How is such a baptism described?
“Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.” Verse 4.
11. How fully are we thus united with Christ in His experience of death and resurrection?
“For if we have been planted together in the likeness of His death, we shall be also in the likeness of His resurrection.” Verse 5.
12. What will follow this union with Christ in His death and resurrection?
“Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him.” Verse 8.
13. In what working of God is faith to be exercised in connection with baptism?
“Buried with Him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with Him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised Him from the dead.” Col. 2:12.
15. What remarkable experience attended the baptism of Jesus?
“And Jesus, when He was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon Him: and lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” Verses 16,17.
16. What promise is made to those who repent and are baptized?
“Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.” Acts 2:38.
17. What question did the eunuch ask after Philip had preached Jesus unto him?
“And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?” Acts 8:36.
18. In order to baptize the eunuch, where did Philip take him?
“And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.” Verse 38.
19. How did the people of Samaria publicly testify to their faith in the preaching of Philip?
“But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.” Verse 12.
20. What instruction did the apostle Peter give concerning the Gentiles who had believed?
“Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord.” Acts 10:47,48.
21. How perfect is the unity into which believers are brought by being baptized into Christ?
“For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.” 1 Cor. 12:12,13.
22. After being united with Christ in the likeness of His death and resurrection, what should the believer do?
“If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.” Col. 3:1.
Lord, in humble, sweet submission,
Here we meet to follow Thee,
Trusting in Thy great salvation,
Which alone can make us free.
Naught have we to claim as merit;
All the duties we can do
Can no crown of life inherit;
All the praise to Thee is due.
Yet we come in Christian duty,
Down beneath the wave to go;
O the bliss! the heavenly beauty!
Christ the Lord was buried so.
ROBERT T. DANIEL