1. WHAT was the character of Christ’s work among men?
“Who went about doing good.” Acts 10:38.
2. What will His true followers do?
“He that saith he abideth in Him ought himself also so to walk, even as He walked.” 1 John 2:6.
3. In ministering to the needy, whom are we really serving?
“Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these My brethren, ye have done it unto Me.” Matt. 25:40.
4. How long will there be poor in the world?
“Ye have the poor always with you.” Matt. 26:11.
5. What relation do all sustain to God?
“The rich and poor meet together: the Lord is the maker of them all.” Prov. 22:2.
6. What is one good evidence of genuine repentance?
“Break off thy sins by righteousness, and thine iniquities by showing mercy to the poor.” Dan. 4:27.
7. What is one evidence that one has a knowledge of God?
“He judged the cause of the poor and needy; then it was well with him: was not this to know Me? saith the Lord.” Jer. 22:16.
8. What classes are subjects for Christian help work?
“Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.” James 1:27.
9. Is it our duty always to give what is expected or asked?
“Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as 1 have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.” Acts 3:6. See 2 Cor. 12:8.
11. What divine law of retroaction attends giving?
“Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.” Luke 6:38. See Ps. 18:25,26; 109:17; Gal. 6:7.
12. What is promised those who give to the poor?
“He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the Lord; and that which he hath given will He pay him again.” Prov. 19:17. “He that giveth unto the poor shall not lack.” Prov. 28:27.
14. What parable illustrates practical Christian help work?
The parable of the good Samaritan. Luke 10:30-37.
15. When Christ sent out the seventy, what did He tell them to do in the cities whither they went?
“And heal the sick that are therein, and say unto them, The kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.” Verse 9.
16. Amidst poverty, suffering, and distress, what kind of workers does God wish to see?
“But this is a people robbed and spoiled; they are all of them snared in holes, and they are hid in prison-houses: they are for a prey, NONE DELIVERETH: for a spoil, and none saith, RESTORE. Who among you will give ear to this?” Isa. 42:22,23.
17. What is our duty toward the outcast and wandering?
“Hide the outcasts; bewray not him that wandereth. Let Mine outcasts dwell with thee.” Isa. 16:3,4.
18. What incentive have Christians for doing prison work?
“I was in prison, and ye came unto Me.” Matt. 25:36.
19. Who notes the groans of the prisoner?
“From heaven did the Lord behold the earth; to hear the groaning of the prisoner.” Ps. 102:19,20.
20. What work constitutes the fast most acceptable to God?
“Is not this the fast that I have ordained, to untie the knots of wickedness; to relax the burden of the yoke; and rescue those who are oppressed by violence: and that ye withdraw every yoke? Is it not to part thy bread with the famished, and to bring the vagrant poor into thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou clothe him? ” Isa. 58:6,7, Spurrell’s Version.
21. What promises are made to those who thus minister to the wants and distresses of others?
“If thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noonday: and the Lord shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.” Verses 10,11.
SOMEBODY near you is struggling alone
Over life’s desert sand;
Faith, hope, and courage together are gone:
Reach him a helping hand,
Turn on his darkness a beam of your light;
Kindle to guide him, a beacon-fire bright;
Cheer his discouragement; soothe his affright;
Lovingly help him to stand.
Somebody near you is hungry and cold;
Send him some aid today.
Somebody near you is feeble and old,
Left without human stay:
Under his burdens put hands kind and strong;
Speak to him tenderly, sing him a song;
Haste to do something to help him along
Over his weary way.
MRS. E. E. WILLIAMS.