1. UNTO what are we exhorted to watch?
“But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.” 1 Peter 4:7.
2. What is one of the petitions of the Lord’s prayer? “Lead us not into temptation.” Matt. 6:13.
3. By what means can we escape temptation?
“Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the
spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Matt. 26:41.
NOTE.-We should couple with our prayers a spirit of watchfulness, thus cooperating with God In answering them. This is watching unto prayer.
4. How is this duty again expressed?
“Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving.” Col. 4:2.
5. How faithful should we be in this matter?
“Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints.” Eph. 6:18.
6. When did Israel prevail in battle?
“And it came to pass, when Moses held up his hand, that Israel prevailed: and when he let down his hand, Amalek prevailed.” Ex. 17:11.
7. When the householder ceased watching, what happened?
“But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.” Matt. 24:43.
8. What experience comes to those who wait upon the Lord?
“But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.” Isa.40:31.
9. For what did Habakkuk say he would watch?
“I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower, and will watch to see what He will say unto me.” Hab. 2:1.
NOTE.-Some are very anxious that God should hear them when they pray, but are quite indifferent as to what He says in reply.
10. How may we escape the evils coming on the world?
“Watch ye, therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.” Luke 21:36.
NOTE.-Vigilance, as well as prayer, is necessary if we would escape the evils, delusions, and calamities of the last days.
11. What will be the result of not watching?
“But and if that servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the men servants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken, the lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.” Luke 12:45,46.
12. What will Christ’s servants be doing when He comes?
“Let your loins be girded about, and your lights burning; and ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately. Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching.” Verses 35-37.
13. How general is the command to watch?
“And what I say unto you I say unto all, WATCH.” Mark 13:37.