1. WHAT has the Bible to say concerning patience?
“The patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.” Eccl. 7: 8. “Be patient toward all men.” 1 Thess. 5:14. “In your patience possess ye your souls.” Luke 21:19.
2. What contrast is drawn between the patient and the hasty in spirit?
“He that is slow to wrath is of great understanding: but he that is hasty of spirit exalteth folly.” Prov. 14:29.
3. Who are cited as examples of patience?
“Take, my brethren, the prophets. . . for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience. . . . Ye have heard of the patience of Job.” James 5:10,11.
4. What is said of those who endure?
“Behold, we count them happy which endure.” Verse 11. “Blessed is the man that endureth temptation.” James 1:12. “He that endureth to the end shall be saved.” Matt. 10:22.
5. What does the trying of faith work?
“Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.” James 1:3. “Not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience.” Rom. 5:3.
6. What grace is to be added to temperance, or self-control?
“And to temperance patience.” 2 Peter 1:6
NOTE.-Patience naturally follows temperance. Hence the importance of right living,- of gaining control over the appetites and passions.
7. Why are we exhorted to patience?
“But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.” James 1:4.
8. What important test of perfection of character is given?
“If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.” James 3:2.
9. How are we exhorted to run the Christian race?
“Let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith!’ Heb. 12:1,2.
10. For what glorious event are we bidden patiently to wait?
“And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ.” 2 Thess. 3:5. “Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. . . . Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.” James 5:7,8.
11. What will be one characteristic of the remnant church?
“Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.” Rev. 14:12.
12. What should be the language of every heart?
“I wait for the Lord, my soul doth wait, and in His word do I hope.” Ps. 130:5.
13. When Christ comes, what will His people say?
“And it shall be said in that day, Lo, this is our God; we have waited for Him, and He will save us: this is the Lord; we have waited for Him, we will be glad and rejoice in His salvation.” Isa. 25:9.
THE home where changes never come,
Nor pain nor sorrow, toil nor care;
Yes! ’tis a bright and blessed home;
Who would not fain be resting there?
Yet when bowed down beneath the load
By heaven allowed, thine earthly lot,
Thou yearn’st to reach that blest abode,
Wait, meekly wait, and murmur not.
W. H. BELLAMY
This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)