1. By what name are the sacred writings of the Bible commonly known?
“Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the Scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner?” Matt. 21:42.
2. What other title is given this revelation of God to man?
“And He answered and said unto them, My mother and My brethren are these which hear the word of God, and do it.” Luke 8:21.
3. How were the Scriptures given?
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God.” 2 Tim. 3:16.
4. By whom were the men directed who thus spoke for God?
“For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.” 2 Peter 1:21.
5. What specific instance is mentioned by Peter?
“Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus.” Acts 1:16.
6. How does David express this same truth?
“The Spirit of the Lord spake by me, and His word was in my tongue.” 2 Sam. 23:2.
7. Who, therefore, did the speaking through these men?
“God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets.” Heb. 1:1.
8. For what purpose were the Scriptures written?
“For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope.” Rom. 15:4.
9. For what is all scripture profitable?
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.” 2 Tim. 3:16.
10. What was God’s design in thus giving the Scriptures?
“That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.” Verse 17.
13. What three general divisions did Jesus recognize as including all the writings of the Old Testament?
“And He said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the Psalms, concerning Me.” Verse 44.
15. What is God called in the Scriptures?
“He is the Rock, His work is perfect: for all His ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is He.” Deut. 32:4.
16. What, therefore must be the character of His word?
“Sanctify them through Thy truth: Thy word is truth.” John 17:17
17. What test should therefore be applied to every professed teacher of truth?
“To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.” Isa. 8:20.
18. What does God design that His word shall be to us in this world of darkness, sin, and death?
“Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.” Ps. 119:105.
19. To what extent has God magnified His word?
“Thou hast magnified Thy word above all Thy name.” Ps. 138:2.
NOTE.-God did this by backing His promises with an oath based upon Himself. Heb. 6:13,14. By this He pledged and placed at stake His name, or character, for the fulfillment of His word.
20. In what is the true poetry of life to be found?
“Thy statutes have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage.” Ps. 119:54.
21. How long will the word of God endure?
“The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand forever.” Isa. 40:8. “Heaven and earth shall pass away, but My words shall not pass away.” Matt. 24:35.
O Word of God incarnate,
O Wisdom from on high,
O Truth unchanged, unchanging,
O Light of our dark sky!
We praise Thee for the radiance
That from the hallowed page,
A lamp to guide our footsteps,
Shines on from age to age.
The church from her dear Master
Received the gift divine,
And still that light she lifteth
O’er all the earth to shine.
It is the golden casket
Where gems of truth are stored;
It is the heaven-drawn picture
Of Christ the living Word.