Some secular critics have claimed that the incredible longevity of the antediluvians race was not real. Others have claimed that the Biblical records of the longevity doesn’t refer to people but to dynasties. But if we examine the facts, we will find that the longevity of the antediluvian race may be attributed to the following causes:
- The original strength that humans had at creation “And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good” (Genesis 1:31).
- The outstanding effect of the fruit of the tree of life “… The tree of life was also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil” (Genesis 2:9).
- Humanity had higher mental abilities and capabilities “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them” (Genesis 1:27).
- The higher quality of food “And out of the ground the Lord God made every tree grow that is pleasant to the sight and good for food…” (Genesis 2:9).
- The delaying of the punishment of sin and God’s promise to send a redeemer to save humanity “And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel” (Genesis 3:15).
- Man’s original diet was the vegetarian diet which enhanced longevity “Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food” (Genesis 1:29,30). God allowed man to eat meat only after the flood (Genesis 9.1-5).
- Degeneration and sickness due to pollution were not rampant in the early stage of earth’s history as it exists in our day.
For these reasons, the arguments of the secular critics must be rejected because it clearly violate the Biblical facts, literal interpretation of the scriptures.
Check out our Bible Answers page for more information on a variety of topics.
In His service,
A closing message from BibleAsk:
Thank you for visiting BibleAsk – an online ministry dedicated to providing Bible based answers to your questions. If you enjoyed and agree with this answer, please like and share! If you don’t agree, please leave a comment below, and we’ll be sure to respond! If you have another question you would like to ask, please click here and someone from our team will personally answer it (don’t worry, your email address will never be shared). Check out our Bible Answers page to see just Bible verses answering thousands of questions. If you feel impressed to support this ministry, kindly visit our donate page to send a tax-deductible love gift to BibleAsk. Any donation size helps 🙂